Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good and bad

Robbie is doing well. They've gone up on his oxygen a bit today which sounds bad to me, but they keep telling me it's normal and are planning to try to pull him off the vent again on Thursday, so I suppose they must be telling me the truth.

They've upped his feeds again. He's at 5ml/2hours. And they're going to start fortifying them this evening. (More calories and vitamins.)

He's even been pooping a little. She described it as "rabbit poop." But the fact that something is coming out of him is encouraging, I think.

The bad news is that I went to see him, spent about 30 minutes, then went to pump. I got to the pumping room and suddenly felt BAD. Light headed, clammy, nauseated. I freaked out worried I was getting sick and just spent 30 minutes sitting in the NICU.

I dropped my milk off and got the hell out of there. I was too scared to even drive. David was already on his way to the hospital. I found a couch in a waiting room and laid down.

David came and I insisted he go check on Robbie again while I laid down. Then he came to take me home. I literally walked in the door, kicked my shoes off and crawled into bed.

I still feel tired, but way better than I did. I do not have a fever (97.9)
It occured to me to take my BP again, though. It's 127/72. That's way lower than it's been. I had just taken my BP medicine right before I left the house earlier. Now I wonder if I bottomed out a bit. I looked up the symptoms of low BP and it seems to fit.

I talked to his night nurse a few minutes ago and she agreed it sounds like that could be it. But either way, I'm taking 24 hours at home.

It breaks my heart knowing I won't see him tomorrow. I could honestly sit here and just bawl, but I know it's for the best. If I AM sick, his health is far more important than my peace of mind. I warned her I'd probably be calling every few hours since I wouldn't get to see him and she was encouraging of that. Thank God for kind nurses.

So my plan for the next day is to sleep, eat & pump. And call the NICU. Please pray for both of us, if you would.

--Trish

12 comments:

tomboyknits said...

So glad to hear your baby is doing well. I hope you're feeling better soon!!

Mrs. Spit said...

Sounds exactly like when my BP dropped out after pre-e.

Call the OB, if the numbers stay low, you may be able to drop the labetalol.

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope your bp regulates and you can quit taking your meds and start feeling better. Let me know if you need anything tomorrow.

Ariella said...

Glad to hear Robbie is well but sorry to hear about you. I will pray it was just low blood preasure.

Heather said...

I really am SO amazed by your Robbie's breathing. My daughter was on the vent for four weeks solid, with no attempts to wean her off until the end. He's so strong!!! Take pride and comfort in his strength.

I hope your poor feelings are, in fact, a result of bottoming out. And, don't forget, you just had major surgery!!! We NICU mommies need to remember to cut ourselves some slack.

Tracy said...

Oh, sweetie. Please call your doctor. Your BP meds might need to be adjusted or it could be time to stop them completely.
Hope you're feeling better soon.
And of course, lots of prayers for your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh Trish, I bet you are just exahusted. You've had pre-e and a c-section in the last two weeks. I think that taking today to rest is a really good idea. I know it will be difficult and you will miss Robbie like crazy, though.

Hugs,
jandc

Heather said...

I am praying for both of you. BTW, on top of your dropping BP, you may have had a bit of an anxiety attack.

Kristin (kekis) said...

That's great they're upping Robbie's feeds. He'll be a chunker in no time! I know you'll miss him today. It sounds like he is in amazing hands with those wonderful NICU nurses.

I have high BP and it's odd how much changes in your numbers screw with you. It takes your body a while to adjust, so I'd agree with all of us armchair docs - at least call your certified doctor and let him/her know. ;)

Get some rest today and be ready for lots of Robbie time later.

Macchiatto said...

Yay for the good Robbie news but I'm sorry you're feeling sick. :( My BP is pretty low and that is pretty much what it feels like when it hits the super-lows. Praying you'll still have a good day today and that you get the rest I'm sure your body desperately needs, and that you'll feel better soon. ((((Trish))))
Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear Robbie is doing well :)

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday- I had a doctors appointment today and said it was def. low BP.

Good luck, i hope you feel better soon!!

Anonymous said...

trish hon, I have low BP. it's not all that uncommon to get like 100/60 and anything over that my nurses proclaim "wow, that's high for you!"

and yeah, those are the symptoms i deal with a lot. light headed, shaky/trembling, feeling like your muscles suddenly lost all their strength, etc.

you are probably fine -- i am really hoping so, at least. just sit back, relax as much as it is possible... don't push yourself to do anything until you KNOW you are physically ready to do it. 'cuz if you push too soon, you end up back where you started :)

blow robbie a kiss for me.