Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bah!

I hate tests.

Seriously.

I did well enough in school. I kinda liked tests. Or at least, I liked classes that used tests for the majority of the grade. I hated homework, but could usually do well on the tests anyway. So I tended NOT to do homework and just skate by on good test grades.

I think my punishment is a kid who doesn't do so well on tests.

I don't like the "snapshot." I can see how well he's progressing. I know how great he is. The snapshot doesn't do him justice.

Today he has his PT evaluation.

She was nice. She was very positive and during the evaluation she said a lot of "oh, that's good!" and "oh, I like the way you're doing that!" She said it so much that I thought maybe he wasn't so behind after all. I mean, he DID start rolling yesterday, right?

And then she gave me the evaluation. She judges his gross motor "age" in three ways.

Reflexes: 5 months
Stationary: 2 months
Mobility: 4 months


OUCH.
He's 10 months actual and 7 months adjusted.

I'll say it again: Ouch.

I must admit that when she left, I felt pretty bummed.

But I'm pulling myself out of it tonight. She did say that he did seem to be on the cusp of a lot of things so I'm hoping that very soon he just takes off. Even just working with him tonight on some things she showed me today, I can see how close he is to sitting.

And she said that the stomach issues are definitely the root cause of the delays. That seems unanimous.

On a good note, she remarked that his fine motor skills were actually quite good. She also complimented ME a little bit, which felt nice. I like it when they note that I know what I'm talking about. It bodes well for being listened to later.

Of course, the worst is yet to come.

Tomorrow is his NICU follow up appointment. Instead of one person evaluating him, we get a whole team of them.

I know it doesn't matter. He is who he is today the same as he will be tomorrow. But man, seeing it all written out is tough.

I wonder if they give extra credit for being cute?



--Trish

7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Oh, big hugs to you both. I know they have their milestones, but I sure wish they could see what troopers you both are. . .

I believe in you both.

Melanie said...

Haha! I skated by on tests as well, only doing the homework that was big points or interesting. It would make my calculus teacher so mad that I never did the homework but got A's on tests.

As for Robbie, he'll get there. He is technically 7 months, and even my 6m old is behind on some things because of her tummy issues. Try not to let the evals bug you too bad because YOU spend 100% of the time with him and YOU are seeing improvements.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Love&Prayers.

Nicky said...

They should totally give extra credit for being cute! I actually had a doctor say that. "If he wasn't so cute, I'd be concerned... but he's cute! So let's not worry so much." Heh.

MMMom said...

Well, it is not really extra credit, BUT I do know that all of MM's reports start out with either " a darling little girl, beautiful little girl, sweet little girl, etc". I GUARANTEE you will see in writing how cute he is.

As far as the other stuff, I know I posted this to you before. Even though he is 7 months adjusted, they are starting to add time spent in NICU as well. So, he was 3 months early & spent 3 months in NICU, therefore he is around 4 months for adjusted age.

It is so hard to see that stuff in writing. It NEVER gets easier, we have been doing this for almost 6 years. I can only offer a hug & say it isn't fair. I am here if you need to talk.

Tracy said...

He definitely gets extra credit for being cute in my book.

He's not static. He's progressively moving forward in his development. He'll get there in Robbie time.

You're doing a great job.

((hugs))

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

He gets Big Time Bonus points for being Super Cute and having such a Wonderful Mommy!!

Heidi said...

You always get extra credit for being cute!

The numbers are hard, but...oh heck, I don't know. On the one hand I want to say forget the numbers, in our experience with DT it seemed to be subjective even though it shouldn't be. On the other hand it can't be dismissed either. What a hard place to be.

The Cracker was (and continues to be) the last to do SO MANY things, and he was a 42 weeker. I try to remind myself every day it's just his personality. He's more of an observer, and won't do physical things until he knows he can excell at them. But it's hard when I see kids 1/2 his age pushing their bodies to the limit and having a blast, and my kid on the sidelines.

I don't know, I just wish I had an answer. Hugs.