Friday, August 15, 2008

Update

LAST DAY OF WORK!


Okay, here's the deal as I know it.
His physical exam is all fine. His belly is tender, he's alert & active, digesting his food well, maintaining his breathing well, etc etc etc.

The doctor says that 99.someodd percent of what they worry about is based on that. So because he LOOKS good, they're not terribly concerned.

These EO cells are perplexing. Basically, he says, they don't know WHAT causes them. He said they've been associated with a healthy growing preemie, associated with the beginning of an infection, associated with the end of an infection, associated with allergy.. associated with about 100 other things, basically. They just don't know. He said they've really just begun to study them recently and there are lots of theories, but right now, they just guess.

So he got plain, fresh breastmilk yesterday and will continue to do so for a little while. He's getting an antibiotic as a precaution. He seems okay.

Right now, the thing weighing on my mind is that he hasn't pooped. He had a very small stool yesterday morning, but my kid is a poop-every-time-you-change-his-diaper guy. i realize he essentially got water for a day, and they significantly reduced his food intake (from 22ml/2hour to 20ml/3hour) but still. It'd be nice to see things working. They say his bowel sounds are good, which is good, though.

As of this morning, his WBC count was down. But the differential wasn't back yet when I talked to them this morning, so we don't know about the specific EO cells. His X Ray wasn't read yet, either.

The pediatrician thinks it may be a milk allergy. So for now, I'm dairy free. We just wait and see.

I'm exhausted beyond words. The only thing getting me through is knowing this is my last day of work. Let's hope I don't get fired today for falling asleep with my head on the keyboard.

--Trish


P.S. Don't forget the thingy in the corner that we don't talk about.

4 comments:

Two Hands said...

I'M SO GLAD IT'S YOUR LAST DAY OF WORK!!!!!
It sounds like Robbie is doing alright although I know what it's like to long for your child to poo. I hope he goes soon and it's blood-free.
I have been showing my midwifery friends your photos of Robbie, they are taken with him as well. He really is just so sweet. Hugs to both of you today.

Macchiatto said...

YAY for last day of work! It was my last day too, actually; wish we could celebrate together. :)
And yay for mostly good if still slightly mysterious news!

Elizabeth said...

Hooray for your last day of work!!! You can stop feeling torn and just focus on Robbie. I'm glad you were able to find at least a temporary solution.

He's growing and has made so much progress.

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Not working will be the best thing for all of you! I send you the most lovely of best wishes, as always...