Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NICU

She's going to the NICU.

Right now the concerns are 1) Jaundice 2) Temp control 3) her white blood cell count was very slightly decreased, which could be a sign of infection.

the plan is to put her in an isolette under phototherapy. They're going to do some blood work and make sure her electrolytes are okay. Since she hasn't been eating well for the last few feedings, she could be a little dry. If so, they'll do an IV for fluids, if not, no IV.
They are planning to nipple her (I'm allowed to come try to nurse her whenever I want, but she hasn't been interested in that at all the last few feedings, so more likely I'll continue to pump and bottle feed her.)
I have pumped over night and have a few ounces in the fridge, so I'm at least a feeding, probably 2 ahead of her, so at least there's that.

The postpartum floor charge nurse has taken pity on us and is letting us stay in our current room until 7 tonight, but then I'm not sure what's going to happen. She has a private room in the NICU, so there is a fold out couch I can stay on overnight, but of course, that means me and my fresh c-section down there alone. There is talk of maybe finding us a hospitality room so both David and I could stay the night at least tonight, but we'll see.
Otherwise, David might just get a hotel room nearby.

The NP from the NICU wasn't overly concerned, but our pediatrician is, so who knows. The hope is that it's only for a night or two. The jaundice isn't severe, but the temp drop was pretty big. And if she has an infection, obviously that's a bigger deal.
Really, we're just in wait and see mode right now.

I'm basically a freakin' wreck.

So.. here we are.

9 comments:

Bridie said...

Hang in there! Hugs. That is all.

Meghan said...

Hoping its a short stay there and she regulates quickly. Hugs to you all

Just the Tip said...

I'm so sorry. I totally know what it's like to have baby go from being fine to in the hospital, getting poked and prodded, they told us M was septic at once!
One dr. wanted to send us home and one wanted us to stay, they all have different opinions.
I'm sorry you are in no shape physically (or emotionally!) to deal with this change of plans, but lets hope baby girl is just playing games and will be on the mend soon!

Catherine said...

Holding you all in my thoughts.

The Blatchford Family said...

Big hugs Trish! Take heart, she is in good hands & is in the best place for her if there is something like an infection going on. You guys will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sending more prayers your way, and hoping Charlotte's NICU stay is short and sweet.

Tracy

B's Mom said...

Hang in there.

Searching said...

I am so sorry there is yet another thing. Hopefully she was just a bit dehydrated and that will solve all the problems w/a touch of phototherapy, too. If she is otherwise well, will they let you go home w/home health phototherapy? If the choice is home on that or in the NICU on a couch, I think it is much better for YOU! Of course, whatever she needs I know you will do. You can get through this little bump. Praying for all the numbers to go in the appropriate direction!!

Adriane said...

MAN! I am so, so sorry. Not what I was hoping to read at all. I truly hope and pray her stay is short and your recovery quick. Staying on a fold-out with a fresh c-section doesn't sound good at all. Of course, not as bad as leaving your sweet baby in the NICU. I've been thinking about you guys so much. Will continue to pray for you all.