Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's over

The D&C was this morning.
The procedure itself was fine. Waking up from the anasthesia was less-than-ideal.

From what the anasthesiologist said later, the procedure went quicker than expected, so when they woke me up, I was still in pretty deep. My chest wall wouldn't expand leading me to think I was drowning. She said I was getting plenty of oxygen, but it sure didn't FEEL like it.

My first thought upon waking up was "Someone please help me." but I couldn't speak. My next thought was "So this is what it feels like to drown." Finally I managed to choke out "HELP!" and everyone went crazy for a while. She kept telling me I was okay and I kept shaking my head no. At one point I started to cry cause I just kept thinking they were going to have to put me on a vent or something and all these horrible things were going through my head.
But finally it got a little better. It was honestly probably close to an hour before I really felt like I was breathing really normally.

All in all, it was not one of the highlights of my life. But all's well that ends well. I'm fine now.

It was a rough start. On the way to the hospital I started to cry. Tomorrow is my due date with baby #1 and I said to my husband that we should be on our way to have a baby, not to lose another one. He agreed but said that hopefully this is the last time we ever have to do this.

My doctor said that the cytocryology may not work because the tissue has been in me for so long that it may not grow. They sent it off for testing anyway, but there's a good chance it won't work. She told my husband after the procedure that she still doesn't think there is probably anything wrong with us, just more bad luck. Maybe next time, the bad luck will run out. We'll see.

I feel okay. I had a massive headache when I got home, but took some of the prescription strength ibuprofen they went with me and slept for several hours. I'm still all dried out from all of it, but that'll pass.

I go back to work on Monday. I'm relieved not to have to work tomorrow. If I want to sit at home and sulk and cry all day, at least I have that choice.

Now we start praying for my first real period. Step #1 complete. Step #2 can come on any time now.



Chili said...

I'm so so so so so so very sorry you had to go through this. {{{HUG}}}

Sunny said...

Oh sweetheart, my heart is breaking for you! No words, just hugs!

Fertilize Me said...

i concer with sunny!! All hugs here

ultimatejourney said...

I'm so sorry that an already sad experience was scary as well. Hugs from me too.

Changing Expectations said...

I am so so sorry that you are going through all of this. Hugs to you.

T-girl said...

...One more big hug from here.

KarenO said...

I'm so sorry Trish. Wish I could give you a real, warm hug!