Thursday, March 5, 2009

There's no place like home

We're home!!

Robbie successfully digested his food all day. The surgeon took his stitches out and left the discharge to Dr. GI so she could discuss his food schedule.

Dr. GI was rounding about noon but apparently got called out for an emergency and went running off the floor. (The nurses told me.) She didn't get back until quite late in the day. I was getting nervous and was afraid she'd forgotten us.

About 4 I called the nurse to see if there'd been any word from her. About 2 minutes later, she walked in. She said "How would you feel about" and I finished for her "GOING HOME!? YES." and they all laughed at me.

It took some time to get the orders written and it was time for Robbie to eat. In the meantime, a nursing student (who is one of "us" btw, IVF, recurrent m/c momma. She was super duper sweet.) said her instructor asked if we'd let the students come look at his Gtube.

I consented to looking but no touching (he's been prodded plenty.) So they all came in. I had to laugh because the instructor was using me as a source of data. Eventually it turned into what felt like a mini lecture by me. I even took questions at the end. I sort of apologized to the instructor (who was quite nice) but he insisted I was "the expert."

Robbie took it all in stride. He didn't fuss or cry even one time. Just smiled and flirted. He was quite a hit. I was so proud of him.

After we got the paperwork done and found a replacement part for his G tube (there's always one fiasco, right?) we were out the door.

It is SO nice to be home. My chair. Robbie's swing. The Tivo. Heaven!

I used our pump with Robbie's tube for the first time and managed to pump nearly 2oz of breastmilk into his swing and had to cuss a lot, but it was still great to be home.

Robbie immediately passed out. He barely opened his eyes when I got him ready for bed and tucked him in. I swear I saw him sigh in comfort when I laid him down. I think he's as happy to be home as I am.

I'm sure the next few days will be a learning exercise in getting used to the tube (I'm still figuring out the best way to get to it w/o having to strip him for every feeding.) but we'll get there.

He's still eating about the same as before the surgery so I didn't get my miracle eating turnaround, but at least I'm not constantly worrying about him pulling out his face tube and we know we can keep him nourished.

I'm officially requesting no more hospital stays. We got referred to as "frequent fliers" yesterday and I wanted to be offended, but when you've have 4 hospital stays in 9 months, I suppose it's true.

So this is it. Smooth sailing from here on out- RIGHT?



Robyn said...

I am so excited to read this post and hear that you both are home! Yay!

FattyPants said...

Oh I'm so happy you guys are home. Glad things went so well.

Anonymous said...

I wish you could have seen me give a little clap in front of my computer tonight. I'm so very happy to hear you are home. This is a step in the right direction and I so, so, so hope this is IT for you guys. Still praying for you!

chipz95 said...

Welcome home guys! I hope everything continues to go smoothly!

Lisa said...

Yay! Welcome home (again!). Hopefully the only eating troubles you have from now on are when he's 4 and refuses to eat food that's not a chicken nugget. Get to chowing little guy!

Adriane said...

So glad you all are home. Hope the eating improves and everything goes smoothly.

Malloryn said...

I'm so glad that you're home again! I really hope that it's smooth sailing from now on :)

O.S.B. said...

Hooray for being home! Good job Robbie!!