Tuesday, July 15, 2008

16+ hour day.

Very long day, very short update.

Got up early and left for the hospital around 8:30 to see Robbie a bit before work. He was having a much better day. I got to hold him like a baby for a little while. (pictures to come later)
Then I headed to work. I cried walking out of the NICU but got it together pretty quickly.
Got to work and was doing okay until I got into my email inbox and read the email that my boss wrote to the office to tell them I was on bedrest in the hospital and likely having the baby very soon. The emotions just came FLOODING back to me about that day and next thing I knew, I was crying. But again, I managed to straighten up pretty quickly.

I did almost no work all day.

The boss was actually quite nice about pumping at work- much to my surprise. Thought having my boobs out at work is weird. Even in an office alone.

Had a talk with a coworker who lost a baby at 22w many, many years ago. Yeah. Tears. For both of us. But that would have happened any day.

After work- back to the hospital. Robbie still having a good day.

AND--- he graduated to intermediate care! He has a new spot in the NICU. He's on the other side of the room in a fairly quiet corner. Had a nurse I like, too.. haven't had her since Robbie was a couple of weeks old.

His stool culture came back positive, so he's now on antibiotics for that. It's apparently an overgrowth of something that should be there. They're just oral antibiotics, so no IV.

He lost weight again, like 20 grams, which sucks, but is understandable considering how much they've pulled back his feedings. They're leaving him on straight breastmilk for today and maybe tomorrow. They'll decide in the morning. But he'll get a little longer to give his bowels a break of sorts.

We kangarooed for about 2 1/2 hours. He had one brady, but overall, he was having a good night. Oxygen around 28% and he was still hi satting quite a bit.

I got pulled over on the way home (I knew I was speeding but really, truly didn't realize quite how much. I thought the speed limit was higher than it was and that I was going a little slower that he clocked me. Oops.) But he let me off with a warning. I don't think I've ever gotten off with a warning before. It was definitely appreciated.

Got home around 1am. Unpacked my stuff, cleaned up my pump supplies, answered a couple of emails and now I'm updating here.

Now I must go sleep quickly.

Gall bladder ultrasound in the morning. (Nothing major to worry about. I really expect it to be negative. I'm feeling SO much better.. but the doc insisted.) Gotta be up at least by 7.



P.S. Pray for balanced bacteria and good weight gain!


Amy said...

Wow, glad your day was good overall. And CONGRATS to Robbie(and you and David!) on graduating to intermediate care! Hope you got some good sleep and have a wonderful day today. Love you!

feisty tourist said...


Tracy said...

Robbie is stepping up!
I hope he gets his bacteria straightened out soon. :)

Try not to over do it, Trish. I know. But you're Mommy, not Wonder Woman.


Heather said...

Wow! What a long day! Glad to hear they found what was causing Robbie's poop problems. Hope the antibiotics help soon, so he can go back to the regularly scheduled increase in feedings and weight gain.

Nexus said...

Still rooting for the Trish family!

::attempts cheerleading activities, much to the dismay of everyone watching::

Stephanie said...

I'm glad he had a good day. :) I keep you guys in my prayers always.

AngelsAmid said...

I'm praying for weight gain and balanced bacteria! :) I'm so proud of his graduation to immediate care! He's come so far! Sounds like your first day back wasn't too bad. You're doing great. (huge hugs)

Elizabeth said...

I'm all weepy over the 'got to hold him like a baby'. It's magic you've been denied for sooo long. I'm so glad that you started your first day back to work with such a wonderful moment!

You, David and Robbie are in my prayer and I'll say an extra thank you tonight with my hopes for even better days to come.

Mrs. Spit said...

Hey Trish, just checking in because you didn't post this am, and wanted to make sure you were all ok.

Mrs. Spit.