Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Well, Saturday went better than Sunday.
I was able to Kangaroo for about 4 hours. And there was no extubation.

It's actually crazy to me how much better the world feels with my baby on my chest.
At home, I feel nervous, lost, wrong. Even heading to the hospital I fear something bad happening. But I get there and they get him onto me and everything is right with the world. Even when he pees on me (four times yesterday- TYVM) I'm blissfully happy. And he does really well, too, so I don't think it's just me.

There isn't really much to report. Dr. D came by and said they were planning another chest film to check his lungs and then they'd go from there. There is talk of maybe a round of steroids to calm any inflammation down. There are, so far, no signs of infection (Please keep praying for that) so they think the haziness may be inflammation from the vent and healing going on in his lungs.

His feedings continue to go well. He's up to 9ml/2 hours. They've added both fortifier and protein and he's still doing well. He's up to 750 grams which is about 1 lb 10 oz. He could be gaining more weight, but his feedings are going so well that I have to think it'll happen eventually. Of course, 9ml is a little bit of nothing, but it sounds like so much more than the 2ml that he started on, I'm just hanging on to how good it sounds.

Right now, we're just waiting. They said the big goals for the next couple of weeks are working on his breathing and his feedings. When he's on my chest to Kangaroo, I try to take a few deep breaths every now and then. My little psychic way of saying "ya hear that- that's what we need."

He was 2 weeks old yesterday. The parent volunteers of NICU grads organized a father day photo opportunity. A photographer donated her time to take a picture of dads with their babies. David had his done. They said we should have the film and a CD of the photo in about 10 days. You can be sure I'll be posting that for all the world to see.

Today is father's day. David wanted to sleep in, then asked for a new pair of work pants and maybe a shirt.. Then we'll spend the rest of the day with Robbie. He's going to Kangaroo him this afternoon. I'm a little nervous because last time David held him Robbie got so cold. David's not quite the nurturer than I am. I'm afraid he'll get restless or not hold him tight enough. I know I'm being obsessive but I can't help it. I'm a helicopter mom already.

I'll just check his temp frequently and make sure we have warm blankets. I'm sure it'll be fine, if nerve wracking for me.

Hope everyone out there is having a good Father's day. Thanks for the continued thoughts & prayers. We need 'em.

--Trish

6 comments:

Macchiatto said...

Aww. I'm so glad yesterday went better. Enjoy your Father's Day! Can't wait to see that pic. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Father's Day with your baby boy. Hope the kangarooing with David goes well. Hang in there!

AwkwardMoments said...

you are a strong woman.

happy father's day to david

Collins Family said...

Happy Father's Day to the new daddy. Yeah for long hours of kangaroo time with mommy!

Danielle said...

Happy Father's Day to David!

I'm so glad you got to kangaroo for so long. :)

9ml is AMAZING. When we were in the NICU we saw a lot of babies who LOST weight in the first couple of weeks (including CJ, who lost 10 oz), so the fact that he is gaining is just impressing the heck out of me. GO ROBBIE!

Heather said...

No news is good news!! Happy Father's Day to David and happy happy day to you!